Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Nick Bell 3.6 Mile Memorial Run Recap

Last November 2, a Mississippi State football player, Nick Bell, died after a short but intense battle with a rare form of skin cancer. It was so awful to have watched him play football in the beginning of the season and then he was gone by the end. I never had the chance to meet him, but from everyone's stories about him he was a great person.
Tonight the student association put on a 3.6 mile run/walk in his memory, since tomorrow is the one year anniversary of his death. They chose 3.6 miles as a tribute to his football number, # 36.
Zach and I ran the run at an easy, enjoyable pace. The route was very similar to the route from Saturday, just an added loop around the fraternity houses. I like running around campus a lot and I had a really good time just cruising along and listening to music. I was really disappointed that two MSU athletes (girls-I'm assuming volleyball or softball) who had been behind me cut the course! A man in front of me called them out on it and they said they had ran enough during practice! That's not a way to represent MSU as an athlete or in memory of a fellow athlete. If you don't feel like running, just walk! Other than that we had a great night. I love events that are in memory of someone. It's really nice to honor their memory that way.



Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I don't understand why you'd ever cheat on a race. I've always felt that running was a competition with myself. But it sounds like a great way to remember an athlete.

    ReplyDelete